Sunday, September 15, 2013

McCormick & Schmick's.........highly rated, but unimpressed.

Let me start by saying this is not a photo of the fish from the restaurant.  The fish was so "average looking" that I never took a photo of it.  This is a pricey place that tout's itself as a high end restaurant with high quality food.  This is my first visit and I have to say that I was not as impressed as I thought I was going to be.

When our friends invited us (and there were 4 couples), I was excited, because I have always wanted to go, but never really did.  As I studied the menu, there were so many awesome sounding choices.  Now, I had not had steak in a very long time, but the fish sounded so inviting that I decided I would order it.  Since this is an "Al a Carte" type place, the one thing that caught my attention was the lobster mac-n-cheese.  Now, Pappas Steakhouse has an off menu item that you have to know about to order.  They have a crab mac-n-cheese that truly is heaven inspired.  So here was lobster mac-n-cheese; who would turn that down....not me.

I love Mahi Mahi, it is a nice thick fish and usually has great texture; this was going to be blackened.  It came out, it was a very thin piece and very small.  Because of this, the chef overcooked it and it was dry and really lacked flavor (not much blackening).  Because everyone was eating and happy with theirs, I didn't feel like making a big deal of it and sending it back and waiting (hindsight.. I should have).  The mac-n-cheese I think was the most disappointing.  I expected to get this creamy luscious mac-n-cheese with chunks of lobster in it.  What I got was mac-n-cheese (very dry) with an orange sauce on it.  What I think they did was make mac-n-cheese and the pour their lobster bisque soup over it.  It too really lacked flavor and wasn't appealing at all.  On the other hand, one my friends ordered the truffle mash potatoes that were out of this world.

Everyone else seemed to like the food they ordered, so it was just mine that wasn't good.  Now, my dessert sort of redeemed the night; apple walnut pie drizzled with salted carmel with carmel ice cream, and it was soooo good.

I did decide that I would give the restaurant another try at some point, so I will update when and if I do.

Thanks for reading and good eating to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment